Synthetic Oil Introduction :
Synthetic oils are specifically designed lubricants for your engine. They get manufactured by chemically altering crude oil or can be synthesized from raw products.
The thumbs up for these types of oils is that, unlike the conventional oils, they are tailor made for individual engines. They are sludge free and can tolerate extreme weather conditions.
The benefits of using synthetic motor oils include better performing engines, fewer repairs, and longer engine lives. Not only that, you will be spared the agony of regular visits to your mechanic, and that also means less money spent on unwarranted repairs.
Because of these amazing benefits, a lot of products get developed to this effect. Coming up with the best choice for your motor can be a tall order. It is for this reason that we have come up with a list of the top ten synthetic motor oils, which we believe will ease the burden of coming up with the best choice for your need.
Top 10 Best Synthetic Oil Reviews
Best high mileage synthetic motor oil
With extra detergents to keep older engines cleaner, the Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage Motor Oil, SAE 5W-30 – 5qt (782256) is an ideal synthetic engine oil. Not only that it has an extra wear protection that helps prevent future engine wear,
It also has anti-oxidants. These prevent oil breakdowns that cause engine-clogging sludge and deposit formation.
Another leading factor is that it has seal conditioners that rejuvenate aging engine seals thus preventing oil leaks. It is specifically designed for higher mileage engines and provides quality service to new and rebuilt engines.
- Suitable for high mileage engines.
- Low price
- Works well with most regular oil filters
- Extra additives that help aging engines
- Extra wear protection
- Cannot be used in engines where you have to pre-mix oil with gas before usage.
Best 5w30 full synthetic oil
Pennzoil 550022689 5W-30 Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil – 1 Quart, is a synthetic motor oil specially designed for the harsh weather conditions. These can range from severe hot weather to freezing conditions.
With excellent cleansing agents, you get assured of a sludge free engine compared to other synthetic blend oils or conventional oils. It also has an advantage of wear protection thus keeping the engine cleaner, and is suitable for severe driving conditions compared to the conventional oils.
It exceeds the most stringent car manufacturer requirements; therefore making it a safe bet for cleanness and protection.
- Suitable for severe conditions
- Superior cleansing agents
- Compatible with previous versions
- low price with impressive performance
- May not be appropriate for some engine models make sure to check manufacturer’s instructions.
Best synthetic engine oil for diesel engines
The Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil – 5 Liter Jug synthetic motor oil has a rapid oil delivery at low temperatures. It also guarantees a very high lubrication reliability in minimum temperatures.
Due to its ability to ensure outstanding engine cleanliness, you will not only save on petrol, but you will also reduce pollutant emission. Be assured of a long engine life due to its high level of protection against wear.
It is a good product for engines and encompasses the latest engine concepts such as turbocharging, inter-cooling, supercharging, variable cam and timing configurations, multi-valve arrangements, etc.
- Suitable for both gas and diesel engines
- Has less pollution
- Offers high lubrication even in low temperatures
- A first quality synthetic engine oil
- Works well in all weather conditions
- Can be used on Sprinter vehicle models
- May not be suitable for some engines which may require different oil viscosities, check instructions.
Best high performance synthetic oil
When in need of an ideal engine oil for heavy-duty engines, Shell Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil (CJ-4) – 1 Gallon is a good option. It features a low ash technology with advanced multifunction capabilities. This technology aids a continuous responsive protection that adapts to your driving conditions.
It has a low phosphorous and sulfur emission and proven efficiency. Works well under low temperatures, and provides unprecedented freedom from shear stability degradation. Excellent for on and off-highway heavy-duty applications. Also suitable for devices operating under extreme cold and hot weather conditions. In addition to that, they are appropriate for vehicles fitted with diesel particulate filters.
- Less pollution
- Can work under extreme weather conditions
- Improved fuel economy
- Extended drain capability
- Improved deposit control
- Outstanding shear stability
- Can be used for both new and old version engines
- Does not meet some engine specifications
Best quality synthetic oil
With an extra cleaning additive, Mobil 1 45000 5W-30 High Mileage Motor Oil – 1 Quart comes out as an ideal synthetic engine oil. Not only that, be assured of an extra anti-wear additive, these ensures a longer engine life.
It has an advanced full synthetic formula thereby giving you all the advantages of a synthesized oil. Also to be acknowledged is the fact that it has a seal conditioner, these helps to prevent leaks. It extends the lifespan for engines with more than 75,000 miles and is Ideal for severe driving applications such as high-speed highway and stop and go city driving.
- Wide range of applications, i.e., from light engines to mammoth ones
- Prolongs engine life
- Anti-wear additives
- Supports severe driving applications
- High mileage
- Good price for superb performance
- Not suitable for two-cycle engines
Best rated Synthetic Motor oil
Doubling at number five is the Royal Purple 51530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil – 5 qt, synthetic engine oil. It is compatible with conventional fuels and those that contain ethanol, providing an increased fuel efficiency.
Moreover, these engine oil has a better wear protection and a superior corrosion protection, these guarantees a better engine performance and life. Another extended attribute is its compatibility with other mineral or synthetic oils.
- Compatibility with other oils
- Wear protection
- Prevents corrosion
- Works well with fuels containing ethanol
- Can be used on any engine whether new or old
- Works well under extreme weather conditions
- An 8,000 to 10,000 miles mileage should get recorded before used on diesel engines
Best synthetic oil for the money
Unlike traditional motor oils, Royal Purple 36520-6PK HPS 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil with Synerlec Additive Technology – 1 qt. (Case of 6) boasts of more superior production procedures. It gets fortified with zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additive that ensures your engine has a long life.
Noteworthy is the exceptional oxidation stability and advanced protection for performance and modified engines. These not only provide better performance, but your engine parts can also rarely get vulnerable to adversaries such as rust.
Its complicated production yields a product that has a maximum wear protection and also increases the horsepower and torque of your engine. Its additives such as synerlec improves the conditions of metal to metal contact under adverse conditions for improved protection.
- Anti-wear additives
- Advanced protection
- Increased horsepower and torque
- High quality
- Excellent retention
- Low volatility
- Higher gas mileage
- Relatively high priced compared to others
Best cheap synthetic oil
Also, another best synthetic engine oil. MAG1 61790-pk6 Full Synthetic 5W-30 SM Motor Oil – 32 oz., (Pack of 6), has FMX friction modifiers that reduce engine wear by a rate of 56 percent. These will enable you to get to use the motor for a very long time. In addition to that, it gets formulated with high phos retention 2DP for extended weat performance.
A little fuel consumption by your engine gets ensured by a leading OEM viscosity grade. In the long run, you will save a lot of cash. Its excellent resistance to cold wear start eliminates the worry of wearing out your engine in extreme weather conditions.
- Great performance compared to its price
- Works well in a large variety of engines
- Catches and suspends all the dirt
- Does not form any sludge
- It is a dexos 1 approved engine oil
- Maybe relatively expensive when purchased in individual units
Best mobil 1 synthetic oil
In the second position, we have the Mobil 1 120764 Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 5 Quart synthetic engine oil. A USA manufactured product, it features an advanced full synthetic formula with an ability to prevent deposits and sludge built up, and this elongates your engine life significantly.
It has an excellent overall lubrication and wear protection for different driving styles. It also has an outstanding thermal and oxidation stability. These characteristics will ensure that you get the maximum use of your engine.
Enhanced frictional qualities, enforced by regular oil change will not only save you regarding fuel economy, but will also aid superior low–temperature capabilities. It is a general purpose kind of oil and can get used in any type of engine, including high-performance turbocharged, to light vehicles and vans.
- General purpose oil
- It is a dexos 1 approved engine oil
- Anti-wear protection
- Has low temperatures capabilities
- Withstands severe weather conditions
- Suitable viscosity
- Doesn’t leave deposits
- Good price
- Cannot be used in two-cycle engines or aviation engines
- Can be burdensome when refilling used oil.
Best rated Synthetic oil for car
Our chosen leader for the best synthetic engine oil is, Pennzoil 550038221 Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil API GF-5- 5 Quart Jug. It is an informed decision after a careful analysis of the services it provides compared to the price.
It is a full synthetic oil that outshines all the conventional and synthetic blend oils and is good at cleaning sludge. Its superior active cleansing agents make it a better cleaner.
Another important factor is that it has a better wear protection and has exceeded the harshest car manufacturer requirements for cleanliness and protection. Ideal for all engine types to provide superior cleansing under the most severe driving conditions to get the maximum performance out of your engine.
- Additional cleanup technology
- Other friction modifiers
- Anti-wear protection
- Great price
- Lasts longer
- Enables fuel economy
- It is not properly marketed hence, you may miss an opportunity to experience the great value
Is conventional oil better than synthetic oil?
The straight answer for this question is no. Because Synthetic oil is advanced version of convection oil or standard oil. Because synthetic oil is good for engine health & performance. The added chemicals is the reason for good mileage.
How many miles is synthetic oil good for?
It is depends on your engine. Usually Synthetic oil is good for 3000 – 6000 miles. Anyway changing the oil once in 4000 miles is good rule of thumb.
Choosing a good synthetic motor oil can be tough, but here are some factors you may consider:
- Look for products that offer wear protection. Typically good motor oils contain additives that reduce the wear and tear of the engine.
- Check for products that enable improved engine performance. No need to spend cash on products that do not add value. Issues such as fuel consumption, torque power, etc., can act as a gauge.
- The technology. Go for the ones that give best results
- Choose products that will work for a long time before needing change, or refilling while providing top quality at the same time.
- Products that can survive severe conditions while giving the best service are a sure bet.
Summarizing it all, the Pennzoil 550038221 Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil API GF-5- 5 Quart Jug is our choice for the best synthetic motor oil, simply because, apart from having the capabilities of the others, it goes a notch higher by providing a continuous attack on potential and stubborn deposits.
These ability to clean up enables your engine to be efficiently protected and improves its responsiveness. Not only that, it has a 40 percent cleaner rate than the current industry standards.